New project kick-off: “New plastic products manufactured from textile industry waste”
January started with a new project, New plastic products manufactured from textile industry waste, whose objective is to bring to market new plastic products manufactured with polypropylene pellets recovered from wastes from the textile industry.
The project is being performed with NGPLASTICS, member of Packaging Cluster. Both clusters, technical textile and packaging, collaborate in the project which is co-financed by the Waste Agency of Catalonia.
On January 23, both companies and clusters met at LIASA headquarters in La Selva del Camp to define the project work plan which will have a timeframe of one year.
Main activities that will take place are:
• SELECTION: separation and selection of waste (polypropylene yarn).
• TRANSFORMATION: conversion of the waste into a resource.
• MANUFACTURING: use of the transformed waste into new injection molded plastic products.
• COMMERCIALIZATION: launch to market the new product.
• COMMUNICATION: dissemination of the project results.
The project originated from the results of a previous project, PACTEX, led by both clusters and also co-funded by the Waste Agency of Catalonia, whose objectives were to establish synergies between companies’ members of both clusters and to promote the efficient use of material resources focused on the origin reduction of waste, reuse of products, increase of recyclability and the valorization of waste.